Members of The Hymn Society in the United States and Canada will be descending upon the Dallas area for their annual conference, to be held from July 14 to 18 at the University of Texas at Dallas. The organization is extending an invitation for the general public to participate in one or more of the five lively hymn festivals that will take place during the week at various locations. Admission to these events is free, although donations will be gladly accepted.
Here is the schedule of hymn festivals, along with the leaders and locations:
- Sunday, July 14, 7:30 p.m. Opening hymn festival led by two organs and featuring Dallas organists Thomas Pavlechko and Michael Conrady.
Lovers Lane United Methodist Church, 9200 Inwood Rd., Dallas.
- Monday, July 15, 7:30 p.m. Hymn festival led by composer and arranger Ana Hernández. Prince of Peace Catholic Church, 5100 W. Plano Pkwy., Plano.
- Tuesday, July 16, 7:30 p.m. Gala hymn festival led by organist Jan Kraybill, the Notre Dame Children’s Choir, and a massed choir of children from the DFW area, directed by Mark Doerries.
Meyerson Symphony Center.
- Wednesday, July 17, 7:30 p.m. Hymn festival in the African American tradition, led by Atlanta-based Dr. Tony McNeill with the Hammond B-3 organ.
First Presbyterian Church, 1835 Young St., Dallas.
- Thursday, July 18, 10:30 a.m. Closing hymn festival led by Methodist pastor John Thornburg and Yale scholar Marissa Glynias Moore.
University of Texas at Dallas, Student Service Building Addition.